Strive to be positive

This is the article on optimism that I said I wanted to blog about. It is written by Terry Paulson and published in The Star; 31 January 2011. This article got 2 parts but I was only able to get a hold of part 1.
(At first I thought I wanted to put in my own point of view but then, I am very lazy to do it. I guess the article is quite straightforward. Those italicized sentences are the ones I find meaningful).

Life is difficult and setbacks are common and everyone has the choice about the attitude he/she brings to day and the action he takes. Those who want to prosper must develop flexible optimism, resourcefulness and persistence in the face of adversity and constant change. Depression will only make you fail (eg. nothing I can do is going to make any difference in what happens to me, so why try?).

Here are several tips that I chose from the article (there's 8 in this part of the article - I am lazy to type so much) which I think is meaningful and applicable in all sort of bad situation people faced in life:
1) Appreciate the healing power of time
One of Abraham Lincoln's favourite quotes was: "This too shall pass".

Because we tend to think that our reactions to bad events will never fade, we also tend to feel especially good when we recover from trauma with unexpected speed.

Don't underestimate you own powers of recuperation from emotional trauma. You may never forget a bad experience but you can look back with a calmer perspective only time can provide. 

2) Seize the day as a survivor
As long as you are alive, you always have options.

Survivors make the best of the options they have while victims whine about how they few they have. There is never nothing you can do; the only question is whether a given option will work and if committed action is worth the investment of the time required to achieve the desire results. Survivors keep making choices one day at a time.

3) Control what you can - position, perform and persist.
Security is not a fact; it is a feeling that you can control what you do.

You don't control all events that happen, but you do control your response to events. You don't control the cards you are dealt in life, but you can learn how to play even a poor hand well. - I like this point a lot...

Appreciate the words of Reinhold Niebuhr: "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference".

4) Catch yourself being effective
You are probably tougher on yourself than any other person. Instead of taking yourself for granted, love yourself the way you love others you care about.

Ask yourself daily, "What did I do today that made a difference?" Use your calendar to write down one success every day.

5) See mistakes as valued lessons
Use self-criticism as course correction feedback on the road to success. Identify what was done wrong, but put focus on the future: What are you going to do to rectify the problem? How will you handle it next time?