Vanilla vs Chocolate Cupcakes

I haven't blog for a long long time. Kinda miss it like I haven't drink milk in ages, like something amiss. Wanted to blog about Dark Knight but since the craze is over, I can blog about it tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

Since it's half an hour to Chinese Valentine's Day, I may suggest for you to bake some nice cupcakes as a gift.

Here to 2 cupcakes recipe for you to choose from (got them both from Google and I've tried them both myself)

Vanilla Cupcake by Nigella:
250g self-raising flour
250g caster sugar (sugar needs to be reduced a lot. I reduce til 210g but still very sweet)
250g butter
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons milk

Prepare everything so you don't get frantic last minute.

Mix everything together.
Just the milk to be added in at the last.
*p/s: don't forget to sieve the flour.

It's quite thick.

The above recipe can make up til 24 cupcakes.

Bake for around 15 minutes.

Ta daa... End result
 Rating: 4.5/7 (Mark deducted because it's very sweet and not so fluffly as I expected - suggest to reduce some flour as well).

Chocolate Muffin (Updated)
Actually I still can't find the difference between muffin and cupcake. They are the same to me though. Anyway, here's the recipe:
2 eggs
220g sugar
110g self-raising flour
6 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
160ml milk
150g butter

Step-by-step:
1) Mix sugar and butter together til there are soft. Make sure the sugar is dissolved.
2) Add in egg.
3) Mix flour with the cocoa powder. Then fold in to the batter slowly.
4) While mixing the flour in, add in milk and vanilla essence.
5) Fill in the muffin paper and it's ready to be baked.


If you are wondering what brands of product I used.
Kindly ignore the bar of white chocolate and Jacob biscuit.

This is very different from the vanilla cupcake recipe.
It's very liquid form.

End results. Looks more like a cupcake on the outlook.


 *P/S: As I am baking using the old oven, I can't advise you on the preset temperature. But it took me around 15 minutes for it to be cooked. Both requires less than an hour of your time.

Some differences from the original recipe - I ran out of cocoa powder so I only added in 3.5 tablespoons in total. So, kinda don't get the rich chocolate that I was expecting. It's a bit too liquified that my mum added in some flour which wasn't really a good idea. Think the original would be better as the muffin is a bit hard.

Suggest to reduce sugar some more cause it's quite sweet when I already reduced to 180g. How come all recipe out there so sweet one?

Rating: 4/7 (Increased back the mark as some said that the taste is just right. It's not sweet but just right, only a bit oily)

Between both, I think you know which is the wiser choice. Anyway probably if you follow the original recipe for the chocolate muffin, it might turn out just as good as the vanilla.