Where to in Lombok

Happy New Year everyone.

Instead of doing a reflection or new year's resolution, I decided to do something different this year. People are asking me about my trip to Lombok last October and I thought it would be nice to share here in my blog together with the itinerary. This is a rather different trip as it's a trip with the Instagrammers which means the main purpose of this trip is taking lots of photos.


I must say that this is a trip out of my comfort zone as an introvert - travelling with friends I'm not too close with that involves staying overnight (not just for a night but few). Yes it's not the first time I traveled with them but the previous trips I have my sister with me. So here goes an 'adventurous' trip for me...  

John (IG: @thrumyiphone) picked us to KLIA2 in the morning. We carpooled and parked at the airport as the cost is cheaper after we divide into 3. Our parking cost came up to RM150 for 4days, 3 nights.

Info from KLIA2 website
DAY 1 – BEACHES & MERESE HILL

We arrived at Lombok around 11.30am. The moment we arrived, the team purchased local sim packs at the arrival hall. One thing that we missed out was to check out the prices at different booths as we headed straight to the first booth. We got our sim pack at IDR35,000 for 3GB data. The line – Indosat was horrible. We literally has no coverage at majority of the place.

Lunch was local food called Nasi Balap Puyung. I was told that chicken meat in Lombok is tiny but I didn’t expect it to be so itsy bity teeny weeny. The entire chicken is as big as my palm. When asked, our guide explained that majority of the chickens served in Lombok are only few weeks old T.T


This is an entire chicken

What’s dreadful for a trip in Lombok is the journey in the car as it takes an hour plus to travel from one place to the other. We left the restaurant and headed to beaches along Kuta which is on the way to Senggigi where our hotel is situated. We stopped by few beaches along the way as they are only next to each other…






You can find the signature Lombok swings along these beaches which you don’t have to travel to GiliTrawangan.



There was a change in our itinerary as we decided not to go back to the hotel at Senggigi which easily takes 2-3 hoursback & forth and decided to wait at Tanjung Ann.

We hang out at Warung Turtle over drinks. While waiting, I went exploring the beach:



If you notice, it looks like a turtle's head

View from the top of the 'turtle's head'

Merese Hill is just a short hike from Warung Turtle. Probably around 15-20 minutes and you can wear flip flop doing so. The scenery there is amazing. I could stay here for hours seated down alone enjoying the view. The sound of the wave, the sea breeze from far, the sunset… The images below doesn't justify the sight



We left before it gets dark as there is no street light there. We headed for seafood dinner before checking in to the hotel.

Fried crabs

Fried kerang

Looks ugly but this fried fish is delicious that we requested to add another plate

I caught food poisoning during dinner. I'm the only one probably because I can't stomach 'kerang'. Worst nightmare to be sick during travel especially on Day 1. I felt unwell when we started our journey back to the hotel. I think I was lucky as we stopped by a mart 10 minutes away from the hotel and started vomiting instead of dirtying the van.

We checked in to Lombok Beach Villa. I was unwell and couldn’t bother with taking photo of the place. I would say that we get what we paid for. It was booked together with our flight through AirAsiaGo. I paid around RM860 including flights and accommodation. Me and my villa mates paid a bit more for hotel as the 3 of us shared a place for 4. The place is quite old and a bit rundown. Surprisingly, our ‘villa’ was huge as it has 2 rooms, a kitchen and a hall in comparison to the other Instagrammers. Theirs are the standard room where you see the bed the moment you enter the room. As a budget traveler, my only pet peeve is dirty toilet. The place is clean and acceptable.

DAY 2 – SENDANG GILE & TIU KELEP WATERFALL

We spent most of day 2 at the waterfall. The journey takes 2.5 hours from Senggigi (West Lombok) to Senaru area (North Lombok). Entrance fee is covered by the guide so I’m not sure about the price. Honestly, this is my first time to a waterfall. What I learnt from this trip: wear a comfortable foot wear, if possible get a Velcro sandal as it’s hard to cross the water with flip flops; bring a waterproof bag, waterproof phone casing and raincoat.

We hiked to Sendang Gile first which is the smaller waterfall. The hike in is about 40 minutes...


We spend about 10 minutes here and moved to Tiu Kelep.

The hike in



We spent the longest time here… Sorry I didn't take any photos here as my phone was kept in the bag.

Photo credit: Iwan
By the time we hiked out, it was already late 2pm. We had lunch there too overlooking the view. We left and headed to chase suntset but it started to drizzle not long after we reached Malimbu Hill. We left and on our way back, we headed for dinner at Mataram.

Our dinner is Sate Rembige. I trusted Asriel, our guide, when he said that it’s horse meat. I kena con =.=!!! It’s beef not horse. Phewww but as a Buddhist, I don’t take beef. We opted for chicken meat instead.



The chicken satay is tender and the kacang sauce is a mixture of sweet & savory, thick and full of peanut taste.

DAY 3 – GILI TRAWANGAN & SENGGIGI

We were not supposed to go to Gili Trawangan but upon request, our itinerary for Day 3 was completely changed to Gili Trawangan. As this was not in the plan, we had to pay an extra IDR250,000. We woke up at 3am and started our journey out at 4am to catch the sunrise. A speedboat was arranged for us.

We reached Gili Trawangan and spend almost 3 hours at the beach for the sunrise.



As we entered the island, we realised that it’s not really a paradise as what others state. The rest of the beaches around are filled with death corals. You can’t go into the water as the death corals might hurt your feet. I was wearing my flip flops while walking out to the swing. Seriously don’t try walking barefoot as the death corals might cut your feet. However, if you are staying at the villa there, it might be a different experience.

And of course we did utilised our time resourcefully there. We rented bicycles and cycled around the island (7km radius). It took us an hour partly because of me….. I didn’t expect that I had phobia towards bicycle after my accident at Publika. I haven’t cycle since then. I took me almost 30 minutes before I managed to cycle straight without having to stop. I’m thankful for the fellow Instagrammers who actually helped me to face my fear. They were patient enough and were cycling behind me to ensure that I’m okay.




We went snorkeling after that at Gili Air and Gili Meno.


I was told that the view at the other side of Lombok is much prettier as this side of the water has no corals. Our initial plan is to the least explored side of Lombok - the southwest which is known as The Secret Gilis. To me, if a decision is made during a trip, then we should enjoy our time since we are already there. I was lucky to catch sight of a huge turtle while tagging to Asriel.


Besides, the water is clear…

Photo: Sheryl NSY
We were even luckier as we reached the land before the heavy rain or else, we would be trapped at one of the Gili (island) until the rain subside.

We were wet and hungry. We headed for lunch and I must say, always opt for fish at Lombok as it’s larger and yummier than chicken but never order their jus alpukat (Avocado juice) as it’s diluted and far from what one can taste at Bali or Jakarta.


We returned to the hotel and shower. A few of us went out and explore the places along Senggigi.

Visiting one of the 2 temples in Lombok - Pura Batu Bolong. We even managed to enjoy the sunset at Villa Hantu.





The best thing about the rain is that we managed to get good reflection photos at Villa Hantu


LAST DAY – SASAK VILLAGE

It’s a lazy day for all as majority refused to go out in the morning. A few of us decided to go for a local massage. Asreil was kind enough to borrowed his friend's car and took us around looking for a massage parlour. We went to a few for price comparison and got the best price at IDR80000 for full body massage. Some parlours actually asked for almost double the price. The massage is okay only. Wouldn't say it's best but acceptable.

We dropped by Sasak Village Sade before we head to the airport. It’s along the way to the airport. The tour is about 15-20 minutes long in which we were greeted by a local 

This village belongs to the Sasak tribes and they still maintain their local traditions and customs. Their main livelihood is farming (cottons) while women traditionally weave at home. The people leaving in the village is the 7th generation there and they don't marry out of the village. 





The floor of each houses come from a mixture of soil with cow dung where as the roof is made of lalangs.

All-in-all, my total damage as follow:

AirAsiaGo (Flight & Accommodation) MYR860
On-ground arrangement (IDR 1.4mil + IDR125000) ~MYR500
Sim card (IDR35000) ~ MYR12
Bicycle rental at Gili Trawangan (IDR25000) ~ MYR8
Snacks & drinks (IDR80000) ~ MYR25
Massage (IDR80000) ~MYR25

A few other places that you should consider at Lombok is Bukit Selong at Sembalun, Benang Kelambu & Benang Stokel waterfall, Bukit Payung & please go snorkeling at the other side of Lombok.

Till then!